Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Awake on Purpose

[I am watching Jimmy Fallon tonight, and I don't think I have ever watched a whole show before. They are shaking gloves off to disco music...ANYWAY.]

I can think of two reasons in my life that I WANTED to stay awake all night: one, Christmas Eve at my aunt and uncle's house; and two, the 30Hour Famine in high school. Actually, I think I did stay up once all night with friends at a youth retreat once, but that had to do with a boy...

Christmas at my aunt and uncle's house happened once in a while. By the time the 24th came around, my sister and I had raided all of mom's closets, found almost all of our presents, and couldn't wait to get them in our hands. But being at my cousin's overnight was a slumber party!! Unfortunately, my cousin was never on board, tired of us easily, and escaped partway through the night to sleep in her mom and dad's room.

The 30 Hour famine, I believe, is still going on, and was not originally meant to keep kids up all night, but more to fast (except for water and special drinks) and raise money for world hunger. But get 15-20 teenagers in a church or school together for that amount of time, and you are bound to have a slumber party!! The thing about staying up all night and not eating is that eventually your brain goes wonky, and the space around you tends to bend a bit, causing mild dementia. But maybe that's just me. Headaches are common, hallucinations not so much.

So tonight I am again staying up all night on purpose, this time to measure my "wonkiness" in hospital, and determine if indeed the space around me is bending, or that I just need less stress (and more sleep).

[Okay, now they're playing beer pong.]

So what am I in for tonight? Mr. Man's made a list, which I am ignoring. Something about changing lightbulbs maybe :) So far, I have pulled things out from under the couch, unpacked my son's backpack and now here I am. I have plans, don't you worry, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm not baking.

Moving furniture, cleaning house, exercise, art project...but right now, it's watching Jimmy Fallon.


No comments:

Total Pageviews