Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Babies or Boys??


Recently my husband and I have made reference to having more children, and then quickly shook our heads, waved our hands, and silently said, "don't go there."

I was walking home alone after dropping off my two kids at school the other day, and felt a little lost. It once again crossed my mind that I only had one more year with my daughter at home every other day, and then I'd be all by myself. Maybe I should have a baby!! What?? Where did that come from? [For that matter, we had it "fixed" that we can't have anymore anyway. LOL!] But it got me thinking about women's agendas when it came to having more children. Why do we have them? Why do some keep having them?

Now I am not a baby lover - I prefer them much older, capable of doing a lot on their own, like speaking and not needing diapers. That doesn't keep girlfriends from dropping theirs in my arms when they need respite - I'm there for them; I'm capable. But the same day I was walking home alone, I felt the need to get my kids out on their bikes. My son had been trying to ride his bike without training wheels and hadn't had any practice. So after supper I took them down to a nearby parking lot and within minutes he was riding all by himself! Even he couldn't believe it, and was so proud of himself! [Here I need to tell readers that Mr. Man had spent quite a lot of time working on this, and I was merely the last step - a loosening of the pickle jar, so to speak].

Then, that same boy, pictured above, lost his second tooth (his top right) and I have had a hand, and a string, in removing them both. I have to say, it is so exhilarating pulling teeth!

Anyway, last night after the tooth fairy arrived for the second time in our house, I was struck by the fact that perhaps it was the fear of boredom that brought up a craving for a new baby. And here, in a matter of three days, my six-year-old had huge life changes that made me bust with pride.

Just when you think you need to start again, or have a little of that old, familiar blessing, you walk into a new, bigger blessing that you didn't know was coming! Why have a new baby, getting new teeth, and learning to walk, when you can have an older child, losing those baby teeth and learning to ride a bike!

No comments:

Total Pageviews