Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Excerpts from Christmas 2013

Santa has been and gone, we have a huge stack of wrapping paper, one child is down and out sleeping through lunch and the other is already bored.

Ah, Christmas.  The season of ups and downs, expectations and disappointments, and yet, the warm glow of an electric fireplace and hot cider brings everyone to a calm medium.  The hope of a ridiculously expensive doll and a remote control truck lingers in the air as we watch A Muppet Family Christmas on the macbook pro.

On the night of our church service, when presented with a new dress, Little Miss exclaimed, "Oh, I love you, Mom! I love Christmas! I love church! This is my favourite day!"  Hugging and hugging and more hugging.  She loved this day.

Of course, later, when told no to something unreasonable, she officially "hate[d] this day!"

*****

Christmas Eve night we gathered up the stockings and a plate of cookies for Santa. "Are you sure he will like these cookies?" my son asked.  They were gluten-free after all (and really did taste awful).

"Of course he will!" boasted Mr. Man. I suggested Santa may be gluten-free himself. After dunking them in chocolate and sprinkles, the kids were satisfied with their presentation.

Poor Santa. They still tasted awful.

*****
Early the next morning at 6:30am there was a loud thump on the roof.  I thought it was the dog making noise, Mr. thought it was ice cracking, but the kids were certain it was Santa.

They ran downstairs to discover he had indeed been there, despite the wailing and begging for forgiveness that came from my son a few days before.  He had been certain he would just get coal in his stocking.

"It is God you need forgiveness from," I told the weeping boy,"and your sister. God is bigger than Santa," I said to him.

He cried out, "but I am SO BAD, and I can't help it.  I am always hurting her." And he promptly covered his head with his bed blankets and prayed like I've never heard him pray before.

Two things happened after that.

  1. His sister stood her ground upon his next threat.  Her roundhouse caught him in the neck before he had a chance to pummel her, sending him crying to his mommy.  
  2. His prayers were answered.  There was indeed no coal.  He received the remote control truck he'd asked for.

I won't mention the tears that came after he drove it down the stairs.  Sigh.

*****

Christmas 2012 had come with a cold so bad, my mother-in-law sent me to bed and I slept through most of the day and the next.  Looking back I realize that was the most stress-free Christmas I have ever had.  So this year I worked hard to stay calm, and on my feet.  Luckily, as I told Mr. Man, "in my family I am the only anal-retentive one.  The rest of them couldn't care less."  So I did not run around spending my hours cleaning the house or cooking turkey.  The kids helped cook and bake, and when two whole eggs dropped on the floor, I managed to keep cool.  Everyone pitched in and brought food - to my surprise - and everything was gluten-free except my Christmas Quiche and mom's Mince Meat Tarts.  Some things are just too good to change. It would be so wrong.

Later, during the flurry of shredded wrapping paper, squeals of delight at the gifts of LEGO, Christmas socks and a case of beer, we all stopped in shock as someone or something thumped down our stairs (not the remote control truck this time).

"I'm okay," said a tiny, three-year-old voice that promptly burst into tears.  You can't have a family gathering without some drama. With magical hugs and soothing words, she was fine, and the flurry of shredded wrapping paper continued with squeals of delight at the gifts of Old Navy sweaters, car seat covers and a bottle of wine.

More tarts, nibblies and coffee, and we were exhausted.

All in all a perfect day.  Everyone got along, we handled the bumps, bruises and tears with patience and love, and no one missed out on anything.  Despite the short time we've known of Little Miss's food intolerances, my family, who love food, had embraced the challenge and came well equipped to keep our seven-year-old happy, fully fed, and pumped up with as much sugar as the rest of them.  It touched my heart.  And my sweet tooth :)

Now that the tree is down and the house seems so empty, I still hold on to that day.  Arguments will come and certainly discontent and self-absorption is just around the corner, but for a few hours, with the gifts of food, thoughtful presents and a huggy family, we know we are capable of pulling it together.  I hope to have many more days like this.

*****

At the end of the day my son went back to driving his remote control truck, and Little Miss sat and stared at her ridiculously expensive, well commercialized doll she'd been asking for all month, and said,

"What am I to DO with it?"

Sigh.

Oh, yes.  The joys of Christmas.

Erin

No comments:

Total Pageviews