Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Little Miss and the Head Cold: The Queen of Determination

At seven-years-old, I am continually stumped at Little Miss's determination.  Her terrible two's turned into three's, four's...and now seven's. And nothing deters her, not even a cold:

Every time Little Miss gets a head cold it always goes up into her ears.  I tell her to stop sniffing up her nose, that it will go into her brain, but she knows I am making it up.  

(I tend to do that. I told her once at the EEG department, the technician was going to take her brains out and put in a little hamster on a wheel.  And after asking me the millionth time about my childhood, I told her I was an orphan who got locked in a closet for years.  Mom didn't appreciate it - but Little Miss called my bluff every time and just rolled her eyes at me.)

Anyway, colds do go into her ears and create a great deal of pressure, making her hard of hearing.

On this particular day she was still having trouble hearing after two weeks of the sniffles, but she was in a good mood.  I figured her ears were plugged, and on the verge of an infection if we did't deal with it.  So I pulled out the decongestion medicine, but like any kid, she hated it. Unlike those other kids, she's got hot red hair and a fiery will to match.  Often, I just give up.

But she seriously couldn't hear, no matter how many times she tried to fake it.

Mr. Man and I were sitting on the couch with Little Miss in between us.  There was nothing noisy going on, he was checking his facebook (what an addict - seriously!), I was reading a book for geniuses (ahem), and our son is eating pancakes in the kitchen.  Mr. Man has yet again impressed us with his pancake mastery.

At one point our son steps into the living room and asks, "is anyone going to eat the last pancake?"

As Mr. and I both shake our heads no, Little Miss shouts, "pardon?" looking carefully at her brother's face (reading lips...hmm).

"Does anyone want the last pancake?" he asks again.

She smiles, the epitome of goodness, and pleasantly says, "Oh, yes, there's room!" She pats the couch beside her, tosses the pillows aside, and makes room for him on the couch immediately.

I hid my grin and looked at Mr.  I couldn't bare to tell her she'd heard wrong - she was being so kind -  so much so that I moved over for him, despite knowing he didn't even want to sit down.

Mr. Man interjected, "Did you not hear what he said?" looking down at her beside him.

"Yes!" she perked up, "he asked if there was room for him on the couch."  Big smile.

Really? I thought. That did not even sound like "last pancake"!

When he told her what had really been said, he and I burst into a fit of giggles. We just couldn't help it.

Little Miss quickly covered her face in embarrassment.  But instead of becoming furious, she suddenly looked up.  I assumed she realized her game was up and she would have to admit she couldn't hear.  

(Ultimately meaning I was right - just saying).

But, of course, instead of admitting anything, with a determined twinkle in her eye she exclaimed,

"I am still not taking the medicine!"

Sigh.  The bottle stayed in the cupboard, a waste of $13.99.

Ah, even when proved wrong there is no bending of her determination.  Let's hope she will always stand up for the good guy. Whatever side of a cause she'll be on, it will be the winning side.

No comments:

Total Pageviews