Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pizza Hut and the Peanut Allergy

When I was in teacher's college at Queen's U. there were several of us that did our practicum at the same school (my high school, actually).  Although we spent many weeks together I did not really get to know the others that well.  But we still celebrated our teaching accomplishments together, and went out to dinner one night after "work".

Pizza Hut was the only thing available in town (other than MacD's), and we couldn't have afforded much else anyway.  I'd eaten there before, so I did not worry about my peanut allergy and, therefore, did not tell the others about it.

At the pizza bar they always put out dessert pizzas.  I went over by myself to check it out, knowing that I probably wouldn't have any on account of the "traces of peanuts/nuts" that almost all restaurants claim.  Yet everything seemed harmless so I went for it.  There was a young employee beside me, refilling topping containers and I mentioned to him about my allergy.

"I have an allergy to peanuts.  Do you think I can eat any of this?"

"NO!" he exclaimed, "You shouldn't eat ANYTHING!" He then took me by the wrist and shook the chocolate chips out of my hand.  And then took my dessert plate away from me.

I sheepishly walked back empty handed to where my fellow students were sitting, silent, and staring at me.  "Did you KNOW that guy?" one of them asked.

"No." I said.  I was too embarrassed to explain.  They looked at each other and went back to eating.  I wonder if they thought I was in trouble.

Secretly I was pleased that someone knew how serious a food allergy can be, and had the gumption to do something about it. I certainly have more confidence now then I did then in sharing my situation.  If that young man had not been there, perhaps nothing would've happened, but it could've.  And I didn't have a plan.

A few of my allergic clients will order a birthday cake from me, take it to the restaurant, and have the staff bring it out to their child during dessert time.  I know of a mom who would bake a small nut-free cake in the similar colours of the dessert, and would secretly pretend it was part of it.  The allergic child would probably never know the difference.

It is moments like these that we allergy sufferers cherish.  We typically do not have the confidence to speak up for ourselves, or use our epi-pens.  Who wants to wreck the party with a drive to the hospital?  But when we do choose you to hold our secret, please take it seriously.  We love our rescuers - even if it takes a little wrist handling!

Total Pageviews