Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Therapy in Cake


I never thought having a cake business would bring so many broken hearts to my door. But when you think about it, "celebration" cakes can be remembering a lost one, surviving cancer, a 100th birthday....

Today a large order got cancelled because on her 100th birthday (today) the birthday girl went into the hospital. The excitement of the upcoming party was too much for her. How sadly ironic that celebrating a milestone possibly affected that milestone. Tears were shed on the other end of the phone, and, of course, I gave my sympathy and reassurance.

When working with people, it is important to remember that they are people first, customers, second. Sometimes the warmth of the shop and the sweet smell of fresh baking bring a feeling of rest to someone scrambling to put together a party.

They sit, they breath; sometimes they talk. I smile, feed them sugar, and sometimes lend a listening ear. I am thankful for the opportunity.

No comments:

Total Pageviews