Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why Did You Park on the Grass?

During our elegant meal of leftover lazagna last night, Mr. casually asked me, while looking at his plate, "So, why did you park on the grass?"

We have a fairly large driveway with enough room to park three cars so it was a legitimate question.

"Did I really? I didn't know."

"You must have had to get out of the car and walk on the grass to get in the house," he explained.

I shrugged and continued eating.  I don't think either of us ever looked up at each other during this exchange of words as neither of us was really surprised that I'd done something odd.

Oh, the days I've found the portable phone in the freezer, or the milk in the pantry. Wearing my shirt backwards or pouring apple juice on my cereal in the morning was not uncommon.

You know you are a mother when you drink cold coffee in the morning and eat your eggs standing up. One time I poured a cup of tea only to realize after my first sip that I hadn't boiled the water.

There just isn't any time to pause and think, what is wrong with this picture?

Yet I found myself, this morning, after driving the kids to school, stopping at the grocery store to pick up the one item I'd run out of in the cake shop (sadly, this made the third trip to Foodland in two days - I swear they smirk at me each time I go in there - but I'll get a free knife with 25 stamps!) Suddenly I was struck with an overwhelming desire to sit still in the car for a moment and just breath. I found it odd but important.  Like it may be the only moment I would have to do this today.   The kids were delivered to school, I now had everything I needed to start baking, I had just enough bananas to make the cake I needed, and the clients weren't coming for another five hours.  What could go wrong?

Yet, the need was there.

To be still.

I sat there, looked out at the quiet street to my right, listened to my own breathing and took stock of myself.  I was all right.  I was content.  Life is good.  I was thankful.

Then, I put the car in reverse, and pulled out of the parking lot suddenly realizing the dog was probably eating the cat food at that very moment and the cellphone I left on the coffee table (I think) was inevitably ringing causing Mr. Man to wonder if I had forgotten my phone, which indeed I had.

Onward and upward, the quiet moment had passed.  But it has still stuck with me.  In the midst of a busy life, full of ridiculous errors, life is good.  And it is important to pause, reflect and rest in thankfulness.  It is okay that time is passing.  It is okay to be busy, and have a full life.  Just be sure to laugh at the car on the grass, and take time to rest, even for a moment.

The dog did not eat the cat food.  My cell phone was found in my coat pocket and had been there the whole time.  And now I need to go back to the grocery store as I forgot to buy vegetable oil.

Sigh.

But I didn't park on the grass this time.

No comments:

Total Pageviews