Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mr. Man and His Jacket

My very first date with Mr. Man was at a wedding about 13 years ago.  I cannot remember what I wore, (beautiful, I'm sure) but I know he wore a dark suit jacket and a tie.  During the dinner, I stepped away to visit the ladies room and quickly looked back at him.  I think his head is a bit small, I said to myself, but in actual fact, his suit jacket was just too big.  He did not fit into the shoulders of his jacket.


Most of you know he flies around a lot, wearing a cape and saving people in distress.  Just this morning I saw him bend down to a lady half his height and give his best Mr. Man smile to make her day.  But on his off days, he wears a suit and tie and sells insurance.  (Hence the Mr. Incredible picture).

But I have to say, of all the days when I was most proud of him, one was a Sunday a few weeks back, when he got inducted as a councilman at our church.  We met there, you know.  We had our kids baptized there.  We both did profession-of-faith there (he wouldn't let me do it at the same time as him - but that's perhaps another blog post).  And now he was going to be an elder.

His mom sat close by and was busting with pride.  In her eyes, he might as well have been becoming a pastor.  And of course, our friends were there to support him, too.

He didn't have his cape on that day, but as I looked at him reciting the words we'd practiced on the drive there, I realized his shoulders looked very broad.

He had finally fit into his jacket.



No comments:

Total Pageviews