Thursday, February 21, 2013

Looking with Wonder

My right eyelid is twitching again and I am reminded why I started this "Crackerjacks and Nutters" blog.  It is so easy to fall off the horse that's holding you up.

Perhaps it is the third cup of coffee I chugged this morning, or that I am listening to James McDonald shout at me from the speakers of my tiny radio in the cake shop, but I am definitely jittery this morning.  Even my hands are shaking as I type this.

Time to breathe.
.
.
.
There.
.
.
.
Nope, still twitching.

Maybe my blood sugar is low and I need to eat a cupcake...

*****

All of the silly worries that build up to anxiety.  What do you do to bring it all back down?

This brings to mind a conversation I had with my eight-year-old son last night:

It was at bedtime after we prayed for what tomorrow would bring; he and his sister, playing and learning at school, and I, entertaining potential wedding clients through delightful conversation and delicious cake.

He leans over to me with a big, innocent smile on his face.

"Wouldn't it be nice, Mom, if you woke up tomorrow and God had made your store all perfect and pretty for your customers?"

Ah, yes, I think.  A surprise interior decorator.

"Decorating fairies," I said.

"No," he corrected me. "Angels."

Such sweetness, and loyalty to his Father. I swallowed up his words and held them in my heart.  He is such a gift to me.

It is in these moments that I realize no matter what worries are in this adult brain of mine, God sincerely wants me to enjoy the little things in life, and, like a child, look on it with wonder and the magic of all His world contains.

No amount of caffeine or sugar will bring that about.  In all the moments I waste on worry, God sighs and says, "Oh, Erin."

What about you?  Does He sigh and shake His head in love as you once again fret about the things you shouldn't?  Or have you learned to look around with wonder and take joy in the moment?




No comments:

Total Pageviews