Friday, December 9, 2011

The Jackson Pollock in Our House


Tonight my son got out some paints and paper, and set out to make something beautiful. He quickly got frustrated, however, as he tried to maneuver the brush as he would a pencil to create the house-tree-dog picture which forever hangs on our fridge.

I sat down beside him at the table. "Painting is different than drawing," I said. "It does not need to be perfect. You do not have to draw the same thing you always draw. Art is playing with colour, patterns, designs. You can use bright colours or even just black and white.

"There was a man named Jackson Pollock. He put up the paper and dripped, dropped, and spread the paint onto it to make wonderful art. His art also makes millions of dollars now..."

My son's face relaxed and he got to work. His tongue stuck out the side of his mouth as he made his plan of attack. He stood up on his knees on the chair and got ready to splatter paint with his brush onto the paper.

"Wait, wait!" I cried, "Once you make a million dollars, then you can splatter paint in this house!"

About an hour later, Little Miss came in to see what he was doing. He couldn't even look up, he was concentrating so hard on his painting.

"What are you doing?"

"Art," he said, "I'm doing art."

I smiled with pride.

After a quick lesson from the master, this is what Little Miss came up with:


And there is indeed a mess on my kitchen table :P

1 comment:

LesTravels said...

I am recommending this to Kris. He has been taking painting classes this fall and enjoying them a lot. He could always draw really well and now that he is so "engineer" it makes for a more balanced life.
Love your postings. I look for them

Total Pageviews