Friday, December 16, 2011

Don't You Bully Me!!

Last night, during a wonderful Christmas dinner for the women in our church, I told of an altercation with Little Miss at school. Even after an anti-bullying rally, and several lessons dealing with bullies, she was "roughed up" by another child her age.

As I spoke, there were women at our table that were outraged, and suggested many ways that I should handle the situation. Those of us, however, who knew Little Miss, were not too worried.

At the age of five, she is already the type to take control of every situation, and is absolutely fearless. I often picture her directing students and teachers out of the building during a fire or bomb scare, and making friends with the fire chief at the same time.

There was a time this summer that she 'told off' an older boy for picking on her brother:

"You want me to do that to you?" she yelled across the beach, as the boy constantly splashed my son. "Oh, no," I thought, "What is she going to do now?" Luckily his mom came and dragged him away.

So it seems, promptly after being bullied, my little toughy stormed into the hallway, grabbed three different teachers, including the vice-principal and demanded retribution. The teachers reassured her that justice would be served, everything documented, and, of course, that she did the right thing. By the time she told me what happened, she'd already got everyone on the job. I almost felt sorry for the other student. Almost.

I did pop in to the office this morning just to make sure I had all of the facts straight. After speaking with the vice-principal, I knew he was a kindred spirit, and recognized that small fear in his eye. I wonder if he was afraid of what I was going to say. What does a parent look like who has such a child?

I think he needs to meet Mr. Man.

2 comments:

Shaun and Holly said...

Loved this post!!!

Kimberly said...

Glad everything got sorted out! Although, it sounds like Little Miss had it all under control...

Total Pageviews