Sunday, August 14, 2011

House Hunting

A number of years ago, when my husband and I were looking for our first house, we realized that within our budget there were some SLIM pickings out there. Even the house we did buy was a huge fixer-upper, but nothing compared to the house of which I am about to tell you:

The real estate agent took us into this older home: two-storey, three bedroom, etc. We walked into the kitchen which was very narrow and long, like a hallway. The counter was very low - Mr. Man, with his height, would find it hard to wash dishes without straining his back - and the upper cabinets were so high up, that I, with my lack of height, could not reach them.

"Look," I laugh, "the top ones are for you and the bottom ones are for me!" He did not laugh.

So we went over to the stairs. The railing (original to the house) was so loose, it was unsafe to use. I gave the "eyebrow" to Mr. as we leerily took the stairs up.

And as we reached the grand finale of our tour, we gasp, screw up our faces with a big "EWW!" when we see the master bedroom. Along the far wall there is a large bed on the right, with a toilet on the left. (No divider, partitions, walls, etc...) GROSS!! We were outta there!

We joked much later that you could practice aiming from the bed...but maybe that is inappropriate here.

We went through houses that had terrible smells, crazy animals, and low ceilings (the real estate agent and I fell in love with this little house and turn to find Mr. Man with his head tilted - he couldn't stand up straight in the thing!) but we found our house with a little imagination, and hope that we could make it ours. And our toilet is always enclosed in it's own special room, called an ensuite.

No comments:

Total Pageviews