Friday, August 5, 2011

Changes

As I approach September, it is always a new start for me, perhaps from years and years of school, both as a student and a teacher. So I find myself, in this "new year", reflecting on what I've spent my time on and whether it was worth it; and whether I will do it again next year.

After a few days of contemplation, I still have no idea.

I have enjoyed my friends more - especially since the warmer weather hit. We've had sewing nights, chats over coffee, last minute potluck dinners, and some "women in business" boosting sessions. A couple of girlfriends are starting maternity leave soon, which frees them up (in a way) to spend time together. Others will go back to work or will hibernate (as I am prone to do) throughout the winter.

It has been a busy cake year. Lots of new fads coming through and I kept up with them. Crazy new ideas each week (can you make a severed head out of cake - yes!) Bridal Shows are another sign of a new year, and vendor request forms are knocking at my door. Which will I do? Which benefitted me in the past? Do I want to do so many wedding cakes, or should I switch to pies instead? [snort - just kidding!]

And, of course, the family. The kids' schooling is big, important, and VERY BUSY. Fundraisers, pizza days, school trips, homework...it just keeps going. (Sigh) And now we start it all over again. Mr. Man is hard at his work, possibly contemplating whether his year was worth it...but not having the option to change it just yet. (Wait for that million dollar lotto, honey!)

Sometimes changes come when you least expect it: sometimes good, sometimes bad. In our town there has been news of new job promotions, old friendships rekindled, a successful soccer season and new puppies adopted. But alas, many shops are closing in town, businesses failing, basements flooding, and several cases of cancer in our little community.

Life is certainly about constant change, and thankfully, some of it is within our grasp. Do we change things up or do we leave them just the same?

One of my favourite friends says, "If you can't change anything, at least you can change your furniture around!" Just last week, following her example, my six-year-old son moved his room around during a boring afternoon. He pushed each piece of furniture around, huffing and puffing. He had it all planned out in his head and gradually got the job done. There was a big smile on his face as he looked at all he had accomplished. Hands on hips, he gave a happy sigh.

Perhaps I do not need to change too much about this upcoming year. We could just see what happens? Perhaps I need to let the chips fall where they may... but I think I'll choose the colour of them first.

No comments:

Total Pageviews