Thursday, March 22, 2012

Venting

I am not a salesperson, I am an artist.  I want to hide out in my studio and make beautiful things.  Things that make me smile, make my heart flutter, and make me feel proud of myself.  Art is difficult since not everyone understands it.  They do not understand how long it takes to make something.  They do not understand the cost of materials, or how hard it is to work with that medium.

Don't tell me it is too expensive, or your aunt could make it cheaper.  Don't tell me your 15 year old son could make it.  This is my art, my pleasure.  I will grab it all, hold it close, and sell nothing, instead of stand here and listen to you dismiss my talents.  You think because you are old you have the freedom to say what you like.  You are mistaken.

I am home again in my beloved shop.  The air is warm and cosy, the colours are welcoming, the sun is bright.  My tools are ready.  I smile.  I love to work with my hands.  I have strong hands, my daughter says.  And you can't put a price on those.



No comments:

Total Pageviews