Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Five Love Languages

As Valentine's Day is approaching, I am hearing more and more about the book The Five Love Languages, by Dr. Gary Chapman.  Mr. Man and I actually learned about these love languages before we got married a decade (gasp) ago in our premarital course.

These are the five "languages":
1.  Affirmation
2.  Quality Time
3.  Receiving Gifts
4.  Acts of Service
5.  Physical Touch

It ends up that Mr.'s love language is 'receiving gifts' (I don't think he'd mind me telling you that).  A certain CD was the perfect example.  I have several love languages, to make his job a lot harder, but 'quality time' is a big one.

One particular day on our trip to NYC is the perfect example of how Mr. Man and I relate to each other:

After racing around the streets of New York City in taxis and on foot, we stop for a bite to eat on a tiny park bench under a tiny tree.  As it happens, close by is the retail store for NBC studios.  We walk over and open the doors to a room filled with The Office paraphernalia.  The sound of angels rings out as Mr.'s eyes scan the room.  "Happy Birthday," I say, with my arms open to the racks of clothes.  "Take your pick." It was the easiest birthday purchase I ever made for him.  At present, he wears his Dunder Mifflin t-shirt at least once a week.  Receiving Gifts.

Before we had left home, Mr. had said as long as we went to the Statue of Liberty I could take him anywhere.  So earlier on the same day as the NBC store visit, I took him into the The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  It was a huge place; the exhibit I wanted to see was closed; we got lost and wasted hours, but that's another story.  The point is, he hung out with me in unfamiliar territory. Quality Time.

Ironically, I heard on the radio just this week of a husband in a similar circumstance.  He took his wife to an art gallery.  His words were similar to this: "My wife enjoyed looking at the art, and I enjoyed looking at my wife."  So sweet.

Mr. Man's words in regards to our art experience?  "I got to see naked statues."


No comments:

Total Pageviews