Thursday, October 7, 2010

Two Fuzzy Moments

Begonia by the Shed:

I was supposed to be going to the store for eggs and milk, but instead I was spying on my contractor as he was "tidying" the backyard. I glanced behind him and saw two spots of orangey-pink falling out of a broken flower pot, hanging (or should I say, dangling) from our tool shed. I called from my hiding place and asked Mr. C if he could see if that indeed was a flower. And it was!
Immediately I rescued it, thinking "I'm probably NOT rescuing it by even going near it" and realized it was my mother's day flowers I got from my mother back in the spring. I had had them for about two nights when I forgot to bring them in and they were killed by frost bite. I had left them for dead.

I found it very romantic that they have survived and come back during the fall, in a broken flower pot, attached to the most hideous looking shed on our street (well, except maybe the house with all the dogs...). It made me feel fuzzy inside.


Kid #2 and a Toonie:

The second thing that cheered me up today was going to a country store on my way home from shopping for kitchen sinks. I have not gone to that store for many months, and forgot that as soon as you step out of your car you are surrounded by that wonderful bakery, I-did-not-bake-this, smell. Smiles all around. My four-year-old daughter, who could hardly contain herself, dragged me around the bakery to find what she could afford with her allowance. Armed with coins in hand, she eventually chose a package of two large butter tarts, bought them with her own money, and gave the girl a big THANKS, as she ran to the van. I watched her eat those huge treats through the rearview mirror wondering how I'd be paying later for all of this sugary goodness. But she was in heaven.

How different she is from her older brother who spent his allowance on a whoopie cushion last week....

No comments:

Total Pageviews